Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Yay Earth!

So I may have temporarily neglected this blog. Oops. I blame vacation brain. But I am back now and more focused than ever! At least until the weather turns warmer. And summer reading club starts to kill me. But I digress...

Last week, freshly back from some time off, I lead an "Earth Day Everyday" activity for school age kids. I shared the books 10 Things I Can Do to Help My World by Melanie Walsh and We Planted A Tree by Diane Muldrow.

Next we played eco games; in Recycling Relay, teams had to sort items into their proper bins (don't be fooled by the yogurt containers!) while Go Green Hangman involved guessing green phrases such as "Take shorter showers" or "Bring your own bags to the grocery store."

We concluded with setting an environmentally friendly pledge, written on construction paper cut in the shape of a leaf and posted on a tree drawn by yours truly.



Here's a more detailed view. Recley meaning recycle, of course.


I still haven't visited the recently opened Battery City Park Library -- NYPL's first green library in Manhattan. I found the most eye candy here as well as a guided tour. I love the bright orange!

No comments:

Post a Comment